New York Cantors
Send this via e-mail
Three amazingly talented young cantors, already rising stars on the world Jewish music scene, are brought together in Amsterdam’s revered 17th-century Portuguese Synagogue for a concert of Jewish sacred and secular music.
CD - The New York Cantors
- Yerushalyim Shel Zahev- Trio
- V'hosheiv Kohanim (Return Again). - Yanky
- Kol Nidre- Netanel
- Ose Shalom- Azi
- Sephardic Medley- Trio
- El Male Rachamim
- Essa Enai- Netanel
- Momele- Yanks
- Seder Medley- Netanel
- The Bells of New York City- Azi
- Rozo d’Shabbos- Yanky
- Close Every Door- Trio
DVD - The New York Cantors
Three amazingly talented young cantors, already rising stars on the world Jewish music scene, are brought together in Amsterdam’s revered 17th-century Portuguese Synagogue for a concert of Jewish sacred and secular
The New York Cantors, all serving synagogues in New York, are:
- Brooklyn-born Yaakov (Yanky) Lemmer, Cantor of the Lincoln Square Synagogue in New York City
- Azi Schwartz, a native of Israel and Cantor at New York’s Park Avenue Synagogue
- Netanel Hershtik, also Israeli-born and Cantor at The Hampton Synagogue, Westhampton Beach, New York
Some of the most beautiful songs in the Jewish musical history are prayers sung by cantors during shabbat services. For this concert these ancient songs have been given splendid new arrangements by the accomplished Dutch composer/arranger Bob Zimmerman.
The program also includes favorite secular songs evoking memories of Jewish tradition and a rich musical culture, as well as music with a nod to Broadway. Maestro Jules van Hessen and his 34-piece orchestra and 8-voice male choir support the concert recorded under a thousand live candles in one of the most architecturally and historically famous synagogues in the world.