The Great American Read: Bound by Inspiration
Free Event - Tuesday, Sept. 11, at 7 p.m.
Mitchell Auditorium on the campus of The College of St. Scholastica in Duluth.
- The main event will begin with a one-hour promotional screener of PBS’ eight-part The Great American Read special series. This will be followed by our Bound by Inspiration portion of the event, where we will bring together authors Deborah Cooper, Eric Chandler, Gary Boelhower, Carol Butler, Judy Budreau and Felicia Schneiderhan for a roundtable discussion. They will discuss how their favorite book spurred their desire to become a writer, how these books may or may not have influenced their writing, what’s popular in the book world today, and how that relates to our community.
- Several activities are planned for attendees. They will vote for their favorite book, which we will tally and announce at the end of the evening. Those that voted will be entered to win a Little Free Library, painted by local artist Adam Swanson. Movie-style treats such as popcorn, beverages and box candy will be provided at no cost.
- The Duluth Public Library and Cook County Library are invited to have a table where people can sign up for their free library card, and we will encourage local bookstores to offer promotional coupons to visit their stores and purchase their favorite books.
- In support of giving back to our community, WDSE-WRPT will ask attendees to donate children’s books, which we will distribute to various nonprofit organizations in the Twin Ports that support families in need and have the capacity to utilize the books. Several nonprofits have recently held book drives to stock their libraries.
- We will invite local booksellers Zenith Bookstore and The Bookstore at Fitger’s and the Duluth Public Library to promote The Great American Read: Bound by Inspiration event. Not only will we hang posters in their stores, we will ask bookstore owners to share the event via their social media, e-newsletters and other promotional materials they may use. We will ask bookstore owners to provide a promotional coupon of their choice to help support and encourage the love of reading throughout the community. The library will be encouraged to sign up event attendees for their free library cards, if they don’t already have them.