- Content and Production Manager
- Broadcast Maintenance Engineer
- Multi-media Videographer / Editor / Producer
Content and Production Manager
WDSE•WRPT is a significant producer of original television and online content for local, regional and national distribution. This position is responsible for leading, developing and executing program and content strategies and initiatives that position WDSE•WRPT as a significant, impactful, and trusted institution. It leverages multi-platform capabilities and content creation that are community/regionally focused. Primary responsibility is for leading cross-functional teams responsible for program delivery, content creation for multiple platforms, project management, audience development, revenue generation, and evaluation to fulfill the strategic objectives of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manages and directs WDSE•WRPT television programming schedules, content placement, content acquisition and creation, and distribution plan for all WDSE•WRPT media platforms and properties.
- Responsible for assessing, responding through program and content selection and delivery, and documentation of community problems and interests required by Federal Communications Commission.
- Provides editorial leadership and direction, ensuring that content is on-brand, diverse and inclusive of all audiences, consistent in quality, highest journalistic integrity and standards, and optimized for maximum user experience across platforms.
- Participates as part of the executive management team to establish strategic direction and ensure programming supports the organizational goals and mission.
- Develops WDSE•WRPT’s content creation and distribution platforms vision to support
strategic direction and audience development.
- Manages broadcast and production departments.
- Manages relationships with national and local affiliates (PBS, NPR, NETA, etc.).
- Uses audience data and analytic tools to evaluate and create content and programming
- Prepares and monitors budgets, contracts, and project development.
- Supervisory Duties:
- Directly supervises a production staff with an additional staff through subordinate supervisors.
- Plans, assigns and approves work of production staff.
- Responsible for hiring, training and termination of production staff.
- Responds to employee concerns.
- Prepares and signs performance reviews with salary adjustment recommendations.
- Represents WDSE•WRPT as a responsible, informed ambassador locally and nationally.
- Continually engaged in self-education and professionally provided training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with exceptional oral and written clarity.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, conceive, coordinate, manage, implement large media-driven initiatives working with large network of partners and stakeholders.
- Experience following and analyzing emerging developments and trends in the public media industry.
- Proven track record in audience development.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of professionals in an ever-changing, fast-paced media environment.
- Ability to promote and build a team atmosphere, motivate team members.
- Fiscal oversight and experience developing and managing budgets for organization and for high-dollar initiatives.
- Familiar with fundraising and development activities.
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis capacity.
- Proven ability to quickly gather, learn and analyze information on a variety of topics.
- Ability to prioritize, work independently, under pressure, meet deadlines and take direction.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Proven leadership ability through organization and community engagement.
- Proven ability to handle public and internal interactions with diplomacy and tact without additional supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Must present a professional manner and appearance.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in multi-media, communications, journalism or related field preferred.
- Five years of experience in a non-profit or for-profit media setting with progressive leadership responsibilities.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Availability beyond regular daytime work hours via phone, e-mail, and in-person.
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
Broadcast Maintenance Engineer
Interested parties should send a cover email and resume in confidence to email [at] wdse [dot] org.
Job Category: Technical
Location: Duluth Minnesota
WDSE / WRPT, Duluth’s PBS affiliate, is seeking a proven Broadcast/IT Engineer to provide hands-on maintenance of all broadcast and IT based broadcast equipment.
- Perform exception based service and proactive service of broadcast and IT based systems.
- Servicing systems and equipment insuring continued reliability.
- Implementing projects, designs and technology successfully.
- Installation and wiring of broadcast and IT based broadcast systems.
- Performing fabrication of interconnect cables, enclosures, consoles and racks.
- Providing technical expertise for various systems and equipment.
- Interfacing with other departments, vendors, suppliers, contractors and others at all levels.
- Two + years installing and servicing professional broadcast and/or IT equipment.
- Working knowledge of data network, data communications, computer systems and equipment.
- Working knowledge of computer operating systems.
- Working knowledge of video and audio compression technology.
- Ability to follow drawings/schematics and trouble shoot systems and equipment.
- Ability to use small hand tools effectively, including soldering tools.
- The ability to lift 50lbs.
AS degree in engineering and/or equivalent industry experience.
- Multi-channel station automation and servers.
- File-based workflows and editing.
- HD routing switchers, production switchers, cameras, and multi-viewers.
- Satellite delivery systems.
- Broadcast Encoders, Mux & IRDs.
- The ability to work successfully as part of a team.
Multi-media Videographer / Editor / Producer
WDSE.WRPT, in Northeastern Minnesota, seeks a professional multi-media videographer/editor and producer to join our team. The individual selected will will be responsible for collaborating on a variety of television and digital first productions from content inception to creation, and distribution across multi-media platforms.
Reports to: Programming and Production Manager
- Collaborate within production teams to plan, produce and distribute content under direction of Programming and Production Manager.
- Shoot, record, and edit local assuring compliance with all intellectual rights and intellectual property documentation.
- Understand and use content/digital asset management storage, archival, and rights software.
- Work effectively in content production with external and internal constituents representing WDSE•WRPT with integrity.
- Research, write, and edit content for multimedia platforms including, but not limited to; internet, mobile and social media.
- Support and perform studio, field, and edit responsibilities as needed: teleprompter, direction, camera, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in videography, and non-linear editing, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Production Suite experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of digital high-quality television production principles.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently within team settings with diverse people.
- Exhibit understanding of how and where to present various content on multi-media platforms.
- Excellent spoken, written, and visual communication skills with exhibited proficiency in reading, writing, spelling, and grammar.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- High level of knowledge and experience of non-linear editing systems and graphics creation.
- Experience in use and operation of production equipment (Production Switchers, Cameras, Audio Consoles, etc.).
- Proficient in digital first production techniques.
- Maintains an industry-level understanding of the trends, technology changes, and best practices in video delivery for multiple mediums.
- Emphasis of skills in videography and editing with very strong producing skills.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in multimedia, communication, journalism or related discipline required (B.A., B.S.).
- Minimum two-year experience filming, editing, directing, writing, and producing video and/or digital content.
Work environment conditions:
High energy environment driven by hard deadlines. Position will require day-to-day multi-tasking, managing multiple projects simultaneously with times of change in direction and priority.
Samples of work required upon application.