Grant Writer (Part-time)
WDSE.WRPT, in Northeastern Minnesota, seeks a professional grant writer to join our team. The individual selected will identify, define, and develop funding sources to support existing and planned program activities as well as coordinate the development, do the writing and submissions of grant proposals to third party entities for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects. This position will share responsibility for collecting, analyzing and reporting data on the performance of program activities that are funded by third party public and private sources. It is a preference to have a passion for public broadcasting and the power of noncommercial television. This position requires a 20-hour work week.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, write, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources based on the organizational requirement.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Identify and understand the financial and budget matters of the company and work with finance to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Provide stewardship to current donors, provide regular written updates to corporate and foundation donors.
- Possess broad knowledge of organizational structure, functions and needs including institutional history and programs.
- Make appointments with foundation officers and other prospects, arrange for onsite tours for supporters (foundation officers, foundation trustees).
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, program, etc.).
- Provide development input for all written institutional materials for all Annual Reporting.
- Interfacing and communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Strong research skills and multi-tasking.
- Excellent written skills with proper knowledge of grammar.
- Ability to understand the project requirements, the organization, departments and its functions.
- Self-driven, pro-active, ability to work effectively and independently.
- Experienced in handling highly confidential matters with discretion.
- Responsible, organized and provides attention to details.
- Knowledge of computer and software programs.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with grant writing.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong editing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Ability to monitor and meet income goals.
WDSE-WRPT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person shall be discriminated against in employment because of race, color religion, national origin, or sex.
Content and Production Manager
WDSE•WRPT is a significant producer of original television and online content for local, regional and national distribution. This position is responsible for leading, developing and executing program and content strategies and initiatives that position WDSE•WRPT as a significant, impactful, and trusted institution. It leverages multi-platform capabilities and content creation that are community/regionally focused. Primary responsibility is for leading cross-functional teams responsible for program delivery, content creation for multiple platforms, project management, audience development, revenue generation, and evaluation to fulfill the strategic objectives of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manages and directs WDSE•WRPT television programming schedules, content placement, content acquisition and creation, and distribution plan for all WDSE•WRPT media platforms and properties.
- Responsible for assessing, responding through program and content selection and delivery, and documentation of community problems and interests required by Federal Communications Commission.
- Provides editorial leadership and direction, ensuring that content is on-brand, diverse and inclusive of all audiences, consistent in quality, highest journalistic integrity and standards, and optimized for maximum user experience across platforms.
- Participates as part of the executive management team to establish strategic direction and ensure programming supports the organizational goals and mission.
- Develops WDSE•WRPT’s content creation and distribution platforms vision to support
strategic direction and audience development.
- Manages broadcast and production departments.
- Manages relationships with national and local affiliates (PBS, NPR, NETA, etc.).
- Uses audience data and analytic tools to evaluate and create content and programming
- Prepares and monitors budgets, contracts, and project development.
- Supervisory Duties:
- Directly supervises a production staff with an additional staff through subordinate supervisors.
- Plans, assigns and approves work of production staff.
- Responsible for hiring, training and termination of production staff.
- Responds to employee concerns.
- Prepares and signs performance reviews with salary adjustment recommendations.
- Represents WDSE•WRPT as a responsible, informed ambassador locally and nationally.
- Continually engaged in self-education and professionally provided training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with exceptional oral and written clarity.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, conceive, coordinate, manage, implement large media-driven initiatives working with large network of partners and stakeholders.
- Experience following and analyzing emerging developments and trends in the public media industry.
- Proven track record in audience development.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of professionals in an ever-changing, fast-paced media environment.
- Ability to promote and build a team atmosphere, motivate team members.
- Fiscal oversight and experience developing and managing budgets for organization and for high-dollar initiatives.
- Familiar with fundraising and development activities.
- Strong strategic thinking and analysis capacity.
- Proven ability to quickly gather, learn and analyze information on a variety of topics.
- Ability to prioritize, work independently, under pressure, meet deadlines and take direction.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Proven leadership ability through organization and community engagement.
- Proven ability to handle public and internal interactions with diplomacy and tact without additional supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel.
- Must present a professional manner and appearance.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in multi-media, communications, journalism or related field preferred.
- Five years of experience in a non-profit or for-profit media setting with progressive leadership responsibilities.
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Availability beyond regular daytime work hours via phone, e-mail, and in-person.
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
WDSE-WRPT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person shall be discriminated against in employment by such stations because of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.