Illuminate: Defining the Next Chapter
Illuminate is a new WDSE • WRPT annual series featuring live conversations that will shed light on topics that are frequently left in the dark.
This year’s installment, Illuminate: Defining the Next Chapter, hosted by Cathy Wurzer (from TPT’s Almanac), will explore how those facing retirement can prepare for this life transition. Many new retirees are underestimating the impact this new chapter will have on their lives. They can face uncertainty, fear, anxiety, and even grief over the lives they are leaving.
Illuminate: Defining the Next Chapter will explore this topic through live-in-studio conversations with experts, as well as stories of those who are discovering new purpose, meaning, and, in some cases, reinventing themselves in retirement.
- Bonnie Henriksen, principle of Life Song Coaching, Grand Rapids MN, is a certified professional life coach. She helps individuals and teams maximize their potential and live passionately on purpose. In 2018 she developed Compelling Conversations for Vital Aging, a conversation series exploring ways to thrive while aging. She now coaches clients leaving work to prepare for life’s next exciting chapter.
- Bill Lindberg is president of the Ash Grove Group, a professional coaching firm in the Twin Cities that works with clients undergoing career and life transitions. He is recognized by the International Coach Federation as a Master Certified Coach. He is also a member of the AARP Minnesota Executive Council seeking to promote policies and programs that support and encourage vital aging in our communities.
Poet and Philosopher
Gary J. Boelhower, PHD is the 2018-’20 Duluth Poet Laureate, and also writes fiction and nonfiction, teaches, and is a workshop facilitator and speaker. As Professor Emeritus at The College of St. Scholastica he continues to teach health humanities; healthcare ethics; living, dying and grieving; and leadership and wholeness. He has keynoted international and national conferences and leads workshops throughout the United States on wise decision making, the Mountain 10 process for listening to inner wisdom, professional ethics, creativity and writing, creating the respectful workplace, leading a life of meaning and purpose, and authentic leadership.
Additional Reading on this Subject
- The Blue Zones of Happiness: Lessons from the World’s Happiest People, by Dan Buettner, 2017
- Life Reimagined: Discovering Your New Life Possibilities, by Richard J. Leider and Alan M. Webber, 2013
- Purpose and a Paycheck: Finding Meaning, Money and Happiness in the Second Half of Life, by Chris Farrell, 2019
Websites with Additional Information
This is the website of guest, Bonnie Henriksen, from which interested listeners can download an expanded reading list, a copy of “The Next Chapter: Launching a New Season” as shared with Illuminate’s studio audience, or contact Henriksen to learn more about her coaching and workshops.
www.aarp.org (select Minnesota)
AARP and AARP Minnesota offer a broad range of services activities and information for the over 50 crowd. Explore AARP research, offerings and events and how you can get involved.
Inspiring stories of men and women over 50 and how they are engaging and contributing value to their communities. The 50 Over 50 awards spotlight the possibilities and achievements that come with experience.