The Great American Read
The Great American Read, hosted by Meredith Vieira, is an eight-part series that explores and celebrates the power of reading, told through the prism of America’s 100 best-loved novels (as chosen in a national survey). It investigates how and why writers create their fictional worlds, how we as readers are affected by these stories, and what these 100 different books have to say about our diverse nation and our shared human experience.
When to watch:
Tuesdays, September 11 - October 23, 7 p.m. on PBS North
The television series features entertaining and informative documentary segments, with compelling testimonials from celebrities, authors, notable Americans and book lovers across the country. It is comprised of a two-hour launch episode in which the list of 100 books is revealed, five one-hour theme episodes that examine concepts common to groups of books on the list, and a finale, in which the results are announced of a nationwide vote to choose America’s best-loved book.
The series is the centerpiece of an ambitious multi-platform digital, educational and community outreach campaign, designed to get the country reading and passionately talking about books.
- "Fall Kick-off" (Premieres Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 7pm)
- "Who Am I?" (Premieres Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 7pm)
- "Heroes" (Premieres Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 7pm)
- "Villains and Monsters" (Premieres Tuesday, October 2, 2018 - 7pm)
- “What We Do For Love” (Premieres Tuesday, October 9, 2018 - 7pm)
- “Other Worlds” (Premieres Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 7pm)
- "Grand Finale" (Premieres Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 7pm)