Speak Your Mind
Returning for another new season fall 2013
Mental health issues affect everyone. Shouldn't you know more? Now is the time to speak your mind and get the information you need. Join professional psychologist and host Dr. Carolyn Phelps each week as Speak Your Mind starts the conversation on mental health issues.
Expert Advice; Confidential Communication
Each Thursday, a panel of mental health professionals discuss the week's topic and help answer viewer questions live from the WDSE•WRPT studio. Questions can be phoned-in, text and emailed. Calls will be answered by a confidential team that will relay your question to Dr. Phelps. So feel free to ask the questions you've always wanted to ask and hear the reply in the comfort of your own home.
Schedule for 2012-13
- 10.04.2012 After the Flood: Trauma and Natural Disasters
- 10.11.2012 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Anxiety
- 10.18.2012 Helping Kids Succeed in School
- 10.25.2012 Depression
- 11.01.2012 Preventing Suicide in Young People
- 11.08.2012 Mental Health Boot Camp
- 11.15.2012 Stress Reduction and Self-Care
- 12.06.2012 Death and Loss: Helping Children Manage Their Grief
- 12.13.2012 Tantrums and Meltdowns
- 12.20.2012 Myths About Mental Illness
- 01.03.2013 Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- 01.10.2013 Technology, Social Media and Kids
- 01.17.2013 Trauma: Sexual Abuse and Assault
- 01.24.2013 Living with Chronic Pain
- 01.31.2013 Bipolar Disorder
- 02.07.2013 Changes in Memory and Mood as We Age
- 02.14.2013 Demystifying Schizophrenia
- 02.21.2013 Getting Help, Getting Better
What kinds of questions can be answered?
Questions about the week's topic or guests, such as symptoms, personal experience, or treatment approaches are appropriate. Example: "Does it make things worse to drink if a person is depressed, or does it help them because they can forget about their problems?"
What kinds of questions cannot be answered?
Questions of a personal nature will not be responded to on this live television show. Example: "My 14 year old daughter just ran away from home. What should I do?"
Which questions get answered on the show?
Our co-hosts will be reviewing our viewer's questions with 2 goals in mind: creating an informative topic-related show and answering our viewers questions. While we will do our best to include as many as we can, please keep in mind that each question that is sent to us may not get directly answered.
This forum is not intended to resolve a crisis you are having right now. If you are having a crisis, call HDC's crisis line at 1-800-634-8775.